Okay, so I understand that living in different parts of the country will bring all types of experiences and issues. But the one thing, clearly my southern upbringing, I did not expect was the lack of food items that I traditionally have readily avaialble to me. Granted, this is not something that will drastically change my life or cause me some sort of trauma - well it does sorta. (I also know that those who have negative views of southerners will use this as an example - get over it because I am who I am and I love me.)This is how we know we are no longer in the South:
- Grits. They don't sell instant Grits - how can a southern girl survive in the west without her grits?
- Texas Pete - again for those who know my eating habits, you know I love my hot sauce, morning, noon and night.
- Peanut Oil - Jason had a hankering for some southern cooking tonight so he decided to cook fried chicken. (As a sidenote - I am so darn lucky to have a man who will cook fried chicken for me.) Well, we fry with peanut oil - it is readily available in five gallon jugs back home. Guess what - NOT HERE. "We are no longer in the South sugar."
Jiffy Cornbread - yes they sell it, but in our Bi-Lo's it is on the top shelf with plenty of backstock...here it is on the BOTTOM shelf and only about six boxes. Even my mama humph'd over the fact that it was on the bottom shelf. Of cousre, it makes sense when you can buy good corn meal to make corn bread in the south west where the influences of the Mexican culture is thick - but I need my Jiffy.
Needless to say, I know that some things are regional - but still.
1 comment:
Awwww.....do we need to send you a care package?
~Kate
Post a Comment